- life expectancy of 39 years old
- 75% of the children have some form of disability
- the drop-out rate between grades 6 through 12 is 65%
- the rate of unemployment is 75%
- 70% of teens in White Swan are functionally homeless
- four out of five children are subject to physical or sexual abuse before they reach 14 years of age
- all Yakama people are deeply affected by drug and alcohol abuse
- only 2% of Native Americans claim to be Christian
Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed to free, and to break every yoke?
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
If you take away the yoke from your midst, the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness, if you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted , then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. Isaiah 58:6-7, 9b-10
The Lord calls us to action. The Lord calls his servants to follow him.
Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. John 12:25-26