The Maxfields

The Maxfields

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Behold, I stand at the door and knock.

This fundraising process is very interesting.  The word interesting used more in the sense of a car accident you can't look away from rather than a good book you can't put down.

The whole idea of having to ask people for money to financially support us is not an easy thing.  Particularly when I've been working all my life to establish myself in a career and move up the corporate ladder, so to speak.  To go from "See what I've been able to do" to "I can't do this, I need your help and please pray for me because God's doing His thing here" is quite the adjustment.  Nothing like walking out on a limb.

All the sales type activity I've done in the past is to get people to purchase a service in which they get something back - a tax return, expertise on a certain topic, etc.

Now I'm just selling this idea that in exchange for your money we'll try to change the world.  Well, not really the world, just a small little corner of it.  A small, little, inconsequential part of Washington State.  A part of the state that no one knows about and no one really cares about.  Where people live in obscurity, in a society that doesn't work, with no jobs, no family structure, literally (yes, literally) almost nothing. While the people of this small little corner of the world don't have much of anything, they do have one thing that matters.  One thing that we care about, but more importantly, one thing that the Creator and Redeemer of the Universe cares about.  A heart.  A heart that we pray, will open the door when that Redeemer knocks.

But hey, don't forget, you can get a tax deduction for your contribution!

For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.  I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe  yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see.  Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.  Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.  Revelation 3:17-20

No comments:

Post a Comment