The Maxfields

The Maxfields

Friday, March 3, 2017

The children are growing up

Three summers ago I met a girl at one of the housing projects.  When we eventually moved to the reservation, this girl seemed to come to church fairly regularly.  Now I only see her only occasionally.  I have worried about her.  I see her growing up.  I worry about her future -- decisions that she will make or that others will make for her. 

She came to church this past Sunday.  I was thrilled to see her.  She is growing up – fifth grade now. You can see her on the brink of feeling like she is older and not a kid so much.  I hugged her and told her how happy I was to see her.  She smiled and then after church she came into the kitchen and asked if I needed any help.  I told her I’d love her help.  She worked carefully and thoroughly.  We exchanged sweet smiles as we worked.  She slipped by me and said, “Remember when we went to your house for the Valentine’s Day party?  That was so fun.”  I hugged her and told I remembered. 

She will graduate to the youth group this summer.  I can hardly wait.  I’m hoping that I might start seeing her again on a more regular basis on Tuesday nights. 

The children are growing up.  And just when they feel too old for Sunday School or sleep in too late and miss the bus on Sunday mornings, there is the BYGE (Best Youth Group Ever) waiting with welcoming arms. 


No comments:

Post a Comment